Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo, has directed the state’s security agencies to strengthen measures against renewed cases of kidnapping and other criminal activities along the Itobe-Anyigba corridor and adjoining communities in Kogi East.
Acting on the Governor’s directive, Deputy Governor Comrade Joel Salifu represented Governor Ododo at the engagement and convened a high-level security meeting with heads of security agencies, traditional rulers and community stakeholders in Ejule on Sunday.
The meeting was convened to obtain firsthand information on the security situation along the Itobe-Ajegwu-Olaidebu-Ojodu-Ochadamu-Anyigba axis, identify existing security gaps and strengthen coordinated measures to protect residents and commuters.
Speaking on behalf of the Governor, Comrade Salifu conveyed the Governor’s position that the safety and security of residents and travellers remained a top priority of the administration.
“The safety and security of our people remain the highest priority of this administration. We will not allow criminals to take over the Itobe-Anyigba road or any other part of Kogi State.”
He described the Itobe-Anyigba road as an area of concern to the administration, given its strategic importance to Kogi East and its role as a major link between the region, Lokoja, the state capital, and other parts of the country.
According to him, the state government is determined to identify existing security gaps and develop lasting solutions to the threats along the corridor.
He commended the security agencies for their efforts and prayed for the repose of personnel who had lost their lives in the line of duty during recent operations.
He called for stronger collaboration between communities and security agencies, particularly through the provision of timely and credible intelligence that could assist security operatives in preventing attacks and apprehending criminals.
Salifu also warned criminal elements operating in the area to desist from their activities or be prepared to face the full weight of the law.
The meeting, held at the Deputy Governor’s residence in Ejule, was attended by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, Kogi State Command, DCP Sadisu Umar Tafida; Commander, 21 Army Battalion, Ogidibeje, Lt. Col. Godiya Solomon Monday; the Idah Area Commander of the Nigeria Police Force; Dekina Area Commander of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps; Ofu DSS; Community Watch and Neighbourhood Watch officials; vigilante leaders; other security agency heads; traditional rulers; and community representatives.
In his remarks, the Chairman of Ofu Local Government Area, Hon. Mohammed Lawal Musa, described security as a collective responsibility and urged residents to cooperate with security agencies by providing relevant information.
He said information available to the local government suggested that some of the criminal activities were allegedly being perpetrated by foreigners with the assistance of some residents along the corridor.
He warned alleged collaborators to desist from such activities or face the law, while assuring commuters that ongoing efforts by the state government and security agencies would help make the road safer for all users.
Also speaking, His Royal Majesty Akwu Obaje, Ejeh of the Ofu Local Government Area Traditional Council of Chiefs, said the area had been confronted with a series of security challenges.
He said the meeting highlighted the need for every stakeholder to contribute to the state government’s efforts to address insecurity, while commending Governor Ododo for his administration’s efforts to tackle security challenges across the state.
The meeting is expected to strengthen coordination among security agencies, traditional institutions and communities, improve intelligence sharing and restore commuters’ confidence in the safety of the Itobe-Anyigba corridor.



