Thirty-seven villagers kidnapped from Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State have regained their freedom after weeks of community-led peace negotiations with bandits, according to state lawmaker Abdulraham Kandarawa.
Kandarawa, who represents Bakori Constituency in the Katsina State House of Assembly, confirmed the release on Friday. He noted that this latest group brings the total number of freed captives to 82, following the earlier release of 45 victims under the same peace initiative.
Speaking with journalists in Katsina, the lawmaker explained that the victims who were held hostage in Sabe Local Government Area of Zamfara State were freed without any ransom payment, following sustained dialogue and a mutual peace pact with the bandits.
“Today, through the grace of God, we have finally received our people who were held captive. Insha Allah, they are back, and none is left in their hands,” he said.
The newly freed victims include 17 women, two infants, and 18 men.
Kandarawa added that the bandits had promised to release the captives once the community showed genuine commitment to peace, a condition he said was fully met.
“We want to call on all citizens to embrace peace. It is everybody’s business. If we have offended anyone, we will amend, just to live in peace,” he appealed, stressing again that no ransom was paid.
He also expressed appreciation to the bandits for keeping their word.
Meanwhile, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda, had earlier distanced the state government from any negotiations with bandits, stating that the peace process was entirely community-driven.
However, the Governor welcomed the initiative and commended the steady return of peace to the affected communities.
37 Katsina Kidnap Victims Freed After Community-Led Peace Talks
Get notified whenever we post something new!
Just drag and drop elements in a page to get started with Newspaper Theme.



